CREST Research Network Coordinator – Applications invited
CREST is pleased to open applications for this fixed-term position, expected to be up to one year in length, to; support research excellence for a network of distinctive institutions; facilitate the collaborative work, and service the infrastructure, of the Consortium for Research Excellence, Support and Training (CREST) in line with developments in research policy with national and international stakeholders and funders; and continue to support the development of and promote the work of the interconnected “islands of research excellence” in our member institutions.
Line Manager: Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation)
Part-time, up to 21 hours per week (0.6 FTE), fixed term (12 months)
Salary in range Point 14 – Point 16 + London Weighting (presently £19,828 – £20,989 plus £3,851)
Leave: up to 15 days annually (25 days pro rata at 0.6 FTE)
Location: based in Central London but involving occasional travel
CREST is seeking a Research Network Coordinator to coordinate the day-to-day activities of the CREST Research Network, including special projects as they arise, working closely with the Senior Policy Adviser (Research and Innovation) to develop effective communications with our members and external audiences and to deliver a programme of research skills training, activities, and events that meets the practical and policy needs of our member institutions.
The position would suit a graduate who is currently coming to the conclusion of or has recently completed postgraduate research, and is looking to gain experience in higher education research and innovation policy and administration, in particular with respect to research skills and training.
The role is an ideal stepping stone for roles in research management and administration or policy fields; however it also provides excellent networking opportunities with a wide range of institutions and research bodies, an opportunity to use creative thinking to devise and develop interesting events and activities, and the chance to work on a unique, trail blazing project in research data management.
The ideal candidate would be looking to transfer the skills and knowledge gained through their academic research experience to the challenges faced by smaller and specialist institutions in a rapidly changing HE policy environment.
The appointee would need to be self-motivated and organised, a confident communicator, personable and able to relate to a wide range of people including senior stakeholders in institutions, willing to learn, and capable of working flexibly to support the GuildHE team and office. Excellent ICT and administrative skills and previous relevant work experience would be an advantage.
The role would be based at the GuildHE offices in central London and some travel to Member institutions would be required from time to time; however, some remote working would be possible if this was desirable.
- Contribute to policy consultations and responses, attend relevant sector events as they relate to research and innovation policy in higher education, and compose mailings to members to update them on policy changes and news
- Ensure the smooth running of day-to-day operations of CREST and associated networks, including the Innovation, Enterprise and Knowledge Exchange (IEKE) Network and RDAP group
- Manage CREST communications and social media, including Twitter, the CREST website, newsletters and blogs, and posting to Jiscmail fora.
- Devise and deliver research skills training and research support events for the CREST network with the Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation), including new initiatives such as collaborative bid development sandpits
- Devise and deliver policy-focussed and advocacy events with the Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) relating to research, including annual research breakfasts at Westminster
- Support the Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) to devise and deliver the annual CREST Summer School
- Provide support for CREST infrastructure, such as the repository and joint subscriptions, and information systems, such as our contacts database
- Provide project support for the CREST Jisc Research Data Shared Service Pilot to include managing communications on blogs and social media, maintaining project information systems, arranging and participating in project meetings, delivering project events, presentations and reports.
- To assist the GuildHE Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) and colleagues to maintain a network of advice and support on research activity for Members of the Consortium and Members of GuildHE.
- To act on behalf of GuildHE in accordance with its policies and procedures.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required by the Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation)
GuildHE is committed to promoting equal opportunities and aims to ensure that no prejudice or discrimination is shown towards particular individuals or groups on the grounds of race, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Please send CVs and covering letters to Rachel Persad, Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) email@example.com by 23rd February. Interviews will be held on 3rd March at our London office.